What is the .pharmacy generic Top Level Domain extension?
The vast majority of today's "pharmacy" websites sell illegal prescription drugs and this issue presents a big risk for internet users who buy medicine online. The new .pharmacy domain extension was created to be a secure and trustworthy namespace for certified organizations and professionals.
.pharmacy gTLD Requirements
The .pharmacy domain will be available to pharmacies and other entities that offer prescription drugs or prescription drug-related products, services or information via the internet. Registration of .pharmacy domain names requires registrants to complete an application process to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and National Association of Boards of Pharmacy standards.
A list of qualified .pharmacy registrants are listed below:
- Pharmacy Benefit Managers
- Prescription Drug Information and Pharmacy Referral Sites
- Prescription Drug Related Patient Advocacy and Consumer Education Sites
- Medical Professionals' Offices
- Schools or Colleges of Pharmacy
- Continuing Pharmacy Education Providers
- Wholesale Drug Distributors
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
Highly Regulated Domain
.pharmacy is a "Highly Regulated Domain" which is subject to additional requirements mandated by ICANN.
- Legal Compliance: Registrants must comply with all applicable laws, including laws relating to privacy, data collection, consumer protection (including in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct) and applicable consumer laws in respect of fair lending, debt collection, organic farming (if applicable), disclosure of data and financial regulations;
- Health and Financial Information: Registrants must acknowledge and agree that those who collect and maintain sensitive health and financial data must implement reasonable and appropriate security measures commensurate with the offering of those services, as defined by applicable law;
- Abuse Contact Information: Registrants must provide administrative contact information, which must be kept up-to-date, for the notification of complaints or reports of registration abuse, as well as the contact details of the relevant regulatory, or industry self-regulatory, bodies in your main place of business;
- Possession of Necessary Credentials: Registrants must represent that he/she possesses any necessary authorizations, charters, licenses and/or other related credentials for participation in the sector associated with such Highly Regulated TLD; and
- Report Material Changes to Credentials: Registrants must report any material changes to the validity of the Registrant’s authorizations, charters licenses and/or other related credentials for participation in the sector associated with the Highly Regulated TLD to ensure the Registrant continues to conform to the appropriate regulations and licensing requirements and generally conduct activities in the interests of the consumer served.